Paul Galvin's (old) SharePoint space [SharePoint

Just another WordPress.com site

MOSS: Exception occurred. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020009 (DISP_E_EXCEPTION))

UPDATE: We never determined the root cause of this problem and it never surface again.

We notice during implementation of a development site that suddenly, two users are unable to access a site collection. Those accounts can authenticate to the main site, but when trying to access a particular site collection, they just get a blank screen. No errors displayed, just a white blank page.

We log in as a site collection admin and try to add one of those users as a site admin and this time, upon pressing "OK", we get this message:

Exception occurred. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020009 (DISP_E_EXCEPTION))

We spent some time researching this and unfortunately, didn’t come up with anything useful. There were some messages in the diagnostic log, but it was hard to exactly correlate them with this issue.

In the end, we deleting the site collection and re-created it and that solved it.

If I figure out what caused this in future, I’ll update this post.

 

Advertisements

12 responses to “MOSS: Exception occurred. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020009 (DISP_E_EXCEPTION))

  1. Der December 4, 2007 at 1:10 am

    We had the same error message.
    In our case we got to the bottom of this issue and determined a corrupt
    webtempcustom.xml file in the C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Microsoft
    Shared\\web server extensions\\12\\TEMPLATE\\1033\\XML directory causing the
    problem.

    The guy from the microsoft support told me he had seen this error
    message before in several totally different cases, so it is hard to
    infer from this error message to the real problem.

  2. Just April 17, 2008 at 3:44 pm

    Same error here and spent many days trying to fix it until I broke down and did the export and import. Was fixed for a day until we made some changes (to fix things that didn\’t come over in import) and it broke again. Turned out it was a multi-value lookup in teh user list. Breaks it every time…

  3. Unknown June 4, 2008 at 10:19 am

    I get this error also. After this error first time happend ,  I can\’t change user rights or add new user/s etc. I\’m now try resolve this error about 3 days, and no hope. So, any idea is this bug(MS) or what??? Could it be some sql error?
     
    So error message what we get is Exception occurred. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020009 (DISP_E_EXCEPTION))  And every time when we try change any site user right.

  4. Saurabh June 5, 2008 at 9:50 am

    Hi paul
     
    I am facing the same Exception…
    When i add a webpart to my Custom Webpartzone it shows the Error "Unable to add selected web part(s).HelloWorld: Exception occured. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8002009 (DISP_E_EXCEPTION))"…

  5. Mark September 23, 2008 at 5:35 am

    I also had this issue and in my case, it was because my web part was accidentally putting a using statement around SPWeb web = SPContext.Current.WebBad Bad.  Correcting this sorted the problem.Mark Stokeshttp://sharepointstudio.com

  6. Tâm October 7, 2008 at 3:56 am

    Oh, in my case, this error occured because i used using (SPWeb web = SPContext.Current.Web)
    huh, my problem is such foolish one! In MSDN document, there\’s a note that not try to dispose in cases like this.
    Thanks all.

  7. 方正 November 7, 2008 at 9:35 pm

    I  had the same error message when I create sitecollection using template "search center with tabs","search center"or"my site host".  The error comes up sometimes but not always when I am adding a sitecollection using the method blow:
     mSite = db.Sites.Add(siteUrl, title, description, nLCID, webTemplate, ownerLogin, ownerName, ownerEmail);

  8. 方正 November 7, 2008 at 9:38 pm

     please suggest something!

  9. Alla January 11, 2009 at 10:10 pm

    I had this issue with a webpart. Pretty much it was deployed and then retracted. THe retractons wasn\’t coplete and the webpart still existed.I deleted the webpart from the collection, retracted fully, reset iis. Then redeployed reset iis and its now fine! 🙂

  10. T8tube.com March 18, 2009 at 5:57 am

    thanks

  11. Manuel May 20, 2009 at 5:53 am

    Hello. I had the same proble. I was impersonating some code runing with elevated privileges and so calling a spweb like this: //SPWeb estaWeb = SPControl.GetContextWeb(Context);So I changed it to: SPWeb estaWeb= SPControl.GetContextSite(Context).OpenWeb();and now it´s solved.

  12. Manuel May 20, 2009 at 5:56 am

    Mi error was: Cannot save the property settings for this Web Part. Exception occurred. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020009 I found that most of the time is a code error (or a .Net framework bug even when your code have sense). Se the solution in the next post:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: