UPDATE (01/17/08): This blog entry talks about more hyperlink XSL goodness: http://www.sharepointsecurity.com/blog/sharepoint/sharepoint-2007-development/rewriting-links-in-search-results-xslt.
Overview and Objective: I had created a simple bar chart to serve as component on a dashboard. I’ll save the details on building charts for another post, but I did not invent that technique (nor the question mark, for that matter). It turned out there was a bug in the chart and while I fixed that, I took the opportunity to convert some labels into hyperlinks that pointed at the underlying list behind the graph. For example, there is a label with value "Hold". I wanted to turn the label into a hyperlink so that the user could click on it and drill down to the specific entries in the list whose status value is "Hold".
- Use visual studio for sharepoint-aware intellisense.
- Copy the DVWP’s XSLT into visual studio (create a blank project, add an XSL file to the project).
- Copy the link you want to use into the clipboard.
- Paste it into the right location in the XSL.
- Convert URL argument separators on the query string from "&" to "&"
- Url-encode individual arguments.
- Wrap that inside an <a href…> </a>
I have an URL:
I convert it into:
I have manually transformed the first argument from:
(In this, the open brace transforms to %7b and the closing brace transforms to %7d)
The second and third arguments’ parameters ("FilterField1=Recruiter" and "FilterValue1=Hold" respectively) do not need to be url-encoded because they do not contain any unsafe characters.
This technique should generally work anywhere you want to embed a hyperlink in XSLT where the hyperlink includes parameters on the URL such as:
I got the URL itself by accessing the custom list and manually filtering on the status column (labeled "Recruiter" above).